Author: Enterprise Canada | Date: 18 June 2018
PORT CREDIT, Ont. (June 2018)– The menu of freshly prepared, all-natural appetizers and entrees would make even the most discerning diner’s stomach growl.
There are more than 30 house-made fresh soups and dozens of salads to select from to get started. Then there’s a long list of mouth-watering dishes such as House Poached Salmon with Couscous Salad, Frenched Lamb Rack for One with Green Beans and Garlic Mash, and Lemon Chicken Piccata for the main course.
But you won’t find these great meal options at a restaurant. They’re served up daily, prepared from scratch using fresh, high-quality ingredients, by the expert culinary team at Cousins Market.
As it celebrates its 40thanniversary in business, the independent family-owned and operated supermarket has invested heavily in enhancing and expanding its prepared food offerings for the rapidly growing segment of consumers hungry for the convenience of having delicious, wholesome meals made for them without the higher expense and time commitment of dining out.
“Our customers lead very busy lives and we want to make meal time easy for them, without compromising on quality and freshness,” says Director of Food Operations Anthony Caruso. “This store earned its reputation by providing the best produce, meats and cheeses every day — our expanded line of prepared and ready-to-eat meals is an extension of that commitment.”
Caruso, a 30-year food services veteran, was brought on board to oversee the expansion of the store’s prepared foods department. Not only did Cousins build a full commercial kitchen on site as part of a $3 million expansion and enhancement project at its Hurontario Road location in Mississauga, but also Caruso hired more than 20 additional specialized kitchen and service staff.
Other highlights for customers looking for prepared foods include:
· An expanded meat department featuring free-range, hormone-free and organic meats including chicken, lamb, pork and turkey, as well as wild-caught fish;
· A new deli and cheese department featuring an expanded selection of meats that are prepared and cooked on site, as well as a new cheese island with dozens of varieties for every taste;
· A new salad bar and an eat-in dining area with stone-oven pizzas prepared fresh daily;
· A selection of dry-aged meats, as well as nitrate-free house-made roast beef and oven-roasted Turkey; and
· A soup island featuring three different soups from more than 30 varieties made fresh from scratch daily.
Cousins’ expanded prepared foods department has been a hit with its growing base of loyal customers, particularly with busy families and seniors who want quick, healthy meal options.
“We’ve experienced significant growth over the past year as a result of the investments we’ve made in upgrades and our prepared foods have been a large part of that success,” Caruso said.
Cousins commitment to quality and value has allowed it to forge relationships with several premium brands and offer their products in the store, including a full line Beretta Farms hormone- and antibiotic-free meat products in its meat department, as well as Balzac Coffee and David’s Teas in its café.