Attorney General within the Legal Department
• Representing the Government of Montserrat in Civil, and Commercial proceedings;
• Serving as ex Officio member of Cabinet and of the Legislative Assembly and render advice on legal issues arising with respect to the proceedings of Cabinet and the Assembly and other matters relating thereto.
• Establishing clear objectives for the Attorney General’s Chambers in relation to provision of legal advice and services to clients, communicating these clearly to staff, ensuring that the Chambers are managed in such a way as to promote the realization of those objectives;
• Regular monitoring of the effectiveness of the services offered in terms of realizing key objectives and efficiency in use of resources to make such changes as may be required to enhance either;
• Providing guidance on legislative matters and supervise the drafting and revision of primary and subsidiary Legislation and legal notices and advising on UK and other International Treaties/Conventions applicable to Montserrat
• Managing a law revision programme for Montserrat;
• Providing advice to statutory corporations and committees;
• Drafting and supervising the drafting of primary and subsidiary legislation and legal notices and advise on UK legislation applicable to Montserrat;
• Drafting and supervising the drafting of all contractual documentation such as agreements and leases, to which the Governor’s Office, or the Government of Montserrat is a party;
• Serving as the principal point of national or international contact in relation to the laws of Montserrat;
• Managing the resources at the disposal of the Attorney General’s Chambers. This includes the duties and responsibilities of Accounting Officer and the development and management of staff performance.
• Performing the functions given to the Attorney General by Statute.
• Performing any other related duties as required by the Governor or Deputy Governor in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Attorney General’s Chambers.
Qualifications and Experience
• Have Bachelor’s Degree in Law in addition to Professional qualification;
• Have at least ten years experience in active legal practice in at least two major areas of Criminal and Civil Law in a common law jurisdiction;
• Have sound knowledge of and ability to interpret the Laws of Montserrat ;
• Have extensive knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings;
• Have the ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with associates and the public;
• Have good oral and written communication skills.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made either on a permanent basis or on a contractual basis for three (3) years.
The total remuneration package is $EC236, 800 per annum detailed as follows:
• Basic Salary - EC$109,000 (Taxable)
• Legal Services - EC$66,000 (Taxable)
• Travel - EC$ 9,600
• Telephone - EC$ 1,800 (Taxable)
• Entertainment - EC$ 8,400
• Duty - EC$42,000 (Taxable)
A Market Premium may be considered based on qualifications and experience. In addition, a performance based gratuity will be paid at the end of the contract.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application forms can be obtained from our website at www.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resource Management Unit, Office of the Deputy Governor, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail at email@example.com, by telephone at (+664) 491 2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491 6234.
To apply, send your completed application form and curriculum vitae with a covering letter and the names of at least two referees to the Human Resources Management Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2017.
Only applicants shortlisted will be contacted.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from our website at www.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resource Management Unit, Office of the Deputy Governor, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail at email@example.com, by telephone at (+664) 491 2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491 6234. To apply, send your completed application form and curriculum vitae with a covering letter and the names of at least two referees to the Human Resources Management Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2017.