Community Psychiatric Nurse
The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Community Psychiatric Nurse within the Ministry of Health and Social Services.
Responsible for the co-ordination of the delivery of Mental Health Nursing Services/activities to individuals, families and the Community, utilizing the Primary Health care approach.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
• Manage the Mental Health Department under the supervision of the Community Nursing Manager;
• Utilize the Nursing Process to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate the care of the mentally ill clients/patients in the community, Hospital and Prison and other institutions in conjunction with the designated medical officer, clinical psychologist, visiting psychiatrist, nursing personnel, the clients and their families and the community as a whole;
• Performs comprehensive assessment of clients/patients, and in consultation with visiting psychiatrist, designated medical officer and clinical psychologist and formulates appropriate diagnosis; requests diagnostic tests and prescribes drugs and other related therapies according to the Nurses & Midwives Act; makes referrals to health and other agencies as required;
• Review and develop the annual operational plan for Mental Health Nursing services work;
• Identify and analyze the mental health needs of the various communities and update the islandwide Community Mental Health Profile every three (3) years;
• Participating in crisis intervention and management;
• Organize and participate in activities that promote positive mental health to reduce stigma and discrimination;
• Organize and conduct continuing education in mental health for nurses and other key stakeholders e.g. Prison Officers, Community Development Officers, Police Officers, community and faith-based organizations;
• Participating in research activities and utilize findings to improve mental health services, policies and protocols;
• Participating in Community Health Information Systems;
• Assists with the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community-based preventative and rehabilitative services and programmes with emphasis on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, self-help and family/group therapies;
• Prepare monthly and annual reports for the mental health unit according to recognised standards;
• Provide emergency care for the acutely ill and high risk patients;
• Ensure that the mental health disaster plan is reviewed and updated annually;
• Developing and maintaining relationship/liaison with other caregivers, related agencies and families and to make referrals as appropriate;
• Plan and co-ordinate activities to celebrate World Mental Health Day;
• Serve as a member of the Mental Health Committee.
CANDIDATES QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE PROFILE
The applicants must:
• Be a Registered General Nurse with Master of Science Nursing (Mental Health/Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner) or equivalent qualification with a minimum of seven (7) years working experience in mental health/ Psychiatric Nursing, preferably in the Caribbean;
• Certificate or training in Management will be an asset;
• Valid registration with Nursing Council in country of practice;
• Valid drivers’ licence;
• Have experience in motivation and team building skills;
• Knowledge and experience in managing clients with alcohol and other forms drug abuse;
• Have basic Computer Word-processing skills;
• Have good oral and written communication skills;
• Have good counseling and guidance skills.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENGAGEMENT
Appointments will be made either on permanent or contractual basis.
The salary scale for the post is R22-18, that is, EC$50,976-EC$57,312 per annum – taxable.
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
• A completed Application Form with a covering letter
• A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and copies of relevant academic qualifications.
o NOTE: Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies will be requested from those invited to interview
• A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
• Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a selection process that involves attending one or more interviews and/or assessment centres. These interviews are designed to assess the skills, competencies and attitudes of the applicant and may be conducted via SKYPE or in person. The Interviews and/or Assessment Centres allow the Selection Panel to draw on more evidence about the applicants than can be derived from the written application.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Thursday 15th March, 2018.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.