Crown Counsel (Civil and Commercial)
To assist the Attorney General in providing comprehensive legal service to and on behalf of all levels of the Government of Montserrat, statutory corporations, committees, and boards.
1. To provide legal advice to the Governor, Ministers, Ministries and Departments in relation to a wide range of Government activities:
- Research legal issues;
- Provide oral and written legal advice;
- Vet documents for Marriage Licence, Permanent Residence, Citizenship applications, etc.
2. To provide representation to the Government of Montserrat:
- in contentious and non-contentious civil matters in the Magistrate Court, High Court and Court of Appeal;
- locally, regionally and internationally in matters involving complex constitutional and other civil issues.
3. To advise on Government Contracts, agreements and Commercial transactions and prepare their documentation:
- Prepare contracts, agreements and licences for the Government
- Vet deeds, contracts and agreements to which Government is a party.
4. Represent the office of the Attorney General on various Statutory Bodies and Committees, including:
- Procurement Board;
- School Boards and Disciplinary committees.
5. To provide legal information to various regional and international agencies and organisations on behalf of the Government of Montserrat; provide advice and compliance report on International Treaties Conventions and Covenants extended to Montserrat
- Participation in national, regional and international initiatives, negotiations and meetings;
- Preparation of Reports for national, regional and international agencies;
- Conduct legal research and provide written and oral legal opinions.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful applicant must:
• Possess a Bachelor of Law Degree;
• Possess a Legal Education Certificate;
• Be qualified as an attorney at Law or a Barrister;
• Admission to the Bar as an Attorney at Law or a Barrister;
• Have a working knowledge of and ability to interpret the Laws of Montserrat;
• Have a working knowledge and an ability to interpret legislation, rules, regulations, agreements and other legal document;
• Be able to draft indictments, and pleadings;
• Be able to prepare legal submissions;
• Have extensive knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings;
• Be able to draft other legal documents;
• Show decisiveness, soundness of judgment and clarity of presentation;
• Have knowledge of Government procedure and practices;
• Be able to analyze issues, make interpretations and sound recommendations;
• Have good advocacy skills;
• Have effective communication skills;
• Be computer literate;
• Have good interpersonal skills.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a permanent or contractual basis.
The Basic Salary is in the salary scale R17-13, that is $58,896.00 to EC $65,232.00 per annum (Taxable)
• Travel EC$9,600.00 per annum (non-taxable)
• Telephone EC$720.00 per annum (taxable)
• Legal Dependent on experience
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
• A completed Application Form with a covering letter
• A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and copies of relevant academic qualifications.
o NOTE: Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies will be requested from those invited to interview
• A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
• Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a selection process that involves attending one or more interviews and/or assessment centres. These interviews are designed to assess the skills, competencies and attitudes of the applicant and may be conducted via SKYPE or in person. The Interviews and/or Assessment Centres allow the Selection Panel to draw on more evidence about the applicants than can be derived from the written application.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Monday 18th June, 2018.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.