Director – Community, Youth & Sports Services
To lead programme creation and implementation that will foster community, youth and sporting developments/activities. Promoting the ongoing improvement of the wellbeing of communities and youths within Montserrat while ensuring that the department’s efficient and effective use of its resources and delivery of its strategic objectives is achieved through proper administration, data management, accounting, budget management and human resources support systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POST:
The Director will be required to:
- Oversee the development of policy and project proposals to effect the department functions including community development, youth affairs, sports and religious affairs.
- Ensure that major sports, community and youth work programmes for which money has been provided are monitored and assessed and in particular evaluate all expenditure incurred in the provision of services.
- Promote the National Youth and Sports Policies, National Youth and Sports Policy Action Plans and departmental programmes and policies at the individual, group, community and national level.
- Monitor the implementation of the national youth policy action plan by public and civil society agencies involved in youth development work
- Support/promote national, inter-denominational and inter-faith activities.
- Certify import applications and exemptions for or on behalf of religious institutions.
- Deal with the matters pertaining to licencing or registration of religious entities, personnel and activities.
- Develop and implement strategies, liaise with interested groups and individuals to set up new services.
- Build links with other groups and agencies locally, regionally and internationally
- Help to raise public awareness on issues relevant to the youth and community
- Prepare reports and policy advice on religious, sports, youth and community issues.
- Attract, raise and manage funds from donors and the budget process.
- Encourage participation in youth and community activities locally, regionally and internationally
- Prepare the department’s budget and manage its execution.
- Be responsible for the distribution of financial assistance to local sports, community and youth associations.
- Develop and maintain a maintenance schedule for the upkeep of public sporting facilities on Montserrat within the remit of the department - playfields, courts etc.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must have:
- A first degree, preferably in a social sciences including administration, HR or sports management
- Proven knowledge of GoM administrative and financial processes, and policy development
- At least Five (5) years senior managerial experience, working with community projects, youth groups or sport groups with planning, implementation and evaluation of sporting programs and projects.
- Experience and understanding of the Civil Service environment, role and strategic objectives of the Ministry/Department
- Effective written communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise with a broad cross section of community and sporting groups.
- Supervisory/Managerial skills
- Skills in participatory approaches to youth work
- Programme planning and project management skills
- Current driver’s license
- Police Check
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENGAGEMENT
Appointment will be made on a permanent basis.
The salary scale for the post is R7 that is EC$ 74,760 per annum (taxable).
- Travel – EC$ 9,600 per annum (payable only if officer is in possession of a motor vehicle;
- Entertainment – EC$ 3,600 per annum
- Telephone – EC$ 720 per annum (taxable).
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
- A completed Application Form with a covering letter
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and copies of relevant academic qualifications.
- NOTE: Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies will be requested from those invited to interview
- A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
- Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail on or before Friday February 01, 2019. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a selection process that involves attending one or more interviews and/or assessment centres. These interviews are designed to assess the skills, competencies and attitudes of the applicant and may be conducted via SKYPE or in person. The interviews and/or assessment centres allow the Selection Panel to draw on more evidence about the applicants than can be derived from the written application.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Friday February 01, 2019.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.