Education Officer, Primary
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the post of Education Officer, Primary within the Ministry of Education, Youth Affairs and Sports in Montserrat. The successful applicant will be appointed before the commencement of the academic year in 2020/2021, that is, prior to September 2020.
To plan and manage specific Primary Level education services, programmes or Primary Schools on Montserrat in collaboration with the Permanent Secretary and Director of Education.
The key responsibilities include:
- Supervise and support Primary Schools to include formal performance monitoring of the Heads of schools;
- Review and monitor performance standards so as to improve performance and raise test of standards results via agreed methods;
- Plan and manage the implementation of programmes within the department to ensure the efficient and effective use of resources e.g. professional development days, Summer Workshops, school quiz, other radio programmes and Arts Festival. As well as assist with the co-ordination of the orientation programmes for new teachers which should contribute to high quality teaching;
- Provide technical advice to the Director on all aspects of education policy, planning, programming, procedure and curricula e.g. make recommendations for overseas long-term training of teaching staff;
- Project the staffing needs of schools so as to make recommendations to the Director regarding employment and deployment of staff with the primary system;
- Establish clear objectives and guidelines to ensure efficient and effective realization of the objectives of the Primary Programme so as to raise standards e.g. working on Special Educational Needs Policy;
- Serve as the counterpart for the development of specific aspects of the Curriculum for the OECS Schools and provide Ministry’s oversight for agreed aspects of the Isle of Wight interventions e.g. the Numeracy Strategy and Special Educational Needs
- Coordinate the Joint Primary School Sports Meet and other interschool activities
- Represent MOE on Regional matters and Liaises with UNICEF, UNESCO, CS1, Isle of Wight etc. on project management e.g. preparing and providing requested information, soliciting assistance, attending meetings and organising workshops
The successful applicant should:
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field OR a Diploma in Education or Teacher Training with a minimum of eight years’ experience teaching at the Primary and or Secondary level with at least (4) years in a managerial / supervisory position. A Masters Degree in Educational Management or School Effectiveness would be an asset;
- Be computer literate to include basic spreadsheet skills;
- Be familiar with the ministry's Performance Management Tool;
- Demonstrate good leadership, management and supervisory skills;
- Have excellent communication skills and be able to work as part of a team;
- Have good decision-making skills and be a good negotiator.
Basic salary is in the scale R12-8, that is, EC$ 66,852 - EC$73,020 per annum.
Housing Allowance Negotiable (Overseas Applicants only)
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.gov.ms (click on ‘Jobs with the Government of Montserrat’) or by contacting the Human Resources Unit, Department of Administration, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (1 664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (1 664) 491-6234. Certified copies of qualifications, police character certificate(s) as well as the names and letters of two referees must submitted with your application.
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resource Management Unit, Office of the Deputy Governor, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat. The deadline for the receipt of applications is Tuesday June 30, 2020.
Please note that only applicants selected for Interviews will be notified.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.gov.ms (click on ‘Jobs with the Government of Montserrat’) or by contacting the Human Resources Unit, Department of Administration, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at (1 664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (1 664) 491-6234.