The Government of Montserrat is seeking applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Parliamentary Counsel, within the Legal Department.
Responsibilities will include
- Drafting Bills, regulations and other instruments as required by the Government of Montserrat.
- Advising on law reform and providing legal advice and opinions on matters concerning proposed legislation.
- Preparing and drafting statutes and other legislative enactments, Statutory Rules and Orders, Regulations, Proclamations and other documents of a general nature:
- Advising Government ministries, departments and statutory and other bodies on matters involving the construction, drafting and revision of legislation
- Liaising with local attorneys or other interested parties to affect a process of consultation about impending or planned legislation or amendments to existing legislation.
- Assisting with the preparation and gazetting of bills and their passage through the Legislative Assembly
- Advising on and amending for use locally, draft OECS and CARICOM legislation prepared by regional drafting units as requested.
Qualifications and Experience
As a minimum Applicants should:
- be an Attorney at Law qualified to practice in a Commonwealth jurisdiction;
- possess a Bachelor of Law Degree, Legal Education Certificate, and a Master of Laws Degree in Legislative drafting;
- have least ten (10) years post-qualification experience as a legislative drafter in a Government entity or NGO;
- have a working knowledge of, and ability to interpret the Laws of Montserrat;
- possess a working knowledge of, and an ability to interpret legislation, rules, regulations, agreements and other legal documents;
- possess the ability to draft, primary and subsidiary legislation and other legal documents;
- demonstrate an extensive knowledge of constitutional and administrative law principles, legal practices and proceedings;
- demonstrate decisiveness, soundness of judgment and clarity of presentation;
- have knowledge of Government procedure and practices;
- possess analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to make interpretations and sound recommendations;
- possess sound interpersonal and organisations skills, leadership qualities and the ability to effectively motivate others;
- possess the ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- be computer literate.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a contractual basis for a period of two (2) years.
The basic remuneration package per annum for this post is as follows: -
- Basic Salary - EC$75,000 (Taxable)
- Legal Services EC$48,000 (taxable)
- Telephone EC$ 720 (taxable)
- Travel EC$ 9, 600
- A Housing Allowance of $36,000 (taxable) per annum and a Market Premium (negotiable commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience) (taxable) will be payable where applicable.
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, and Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
ü A completed Application Form with a covering letter
ü A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and
ü Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies
ü A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
ü Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
- Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat. Montserrat, by Monday 3rd March 2020.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, and Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.