Permanent Secretary, Montserrat Public Service
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the post of PERMANENT SECRETARY in the Montserrat Public Service.
The Permanent Secretary has overall administrative responsibility for the Ministry and advises the Minister on the formulation of policies, plans and programmes. As a member of the Core Management Team, the Permanent Secretary shares the collective responsibility for the collective management of the Public Service and will be expected to participate in special task forces, projects and assignments relative to the overall management of the Public Service.
• As Accounting Officer, ensuring that the Ministry obtains value for money in the use of resources allocated to the Ministry.
• Providing objective advice to the Minister on the formulation of policy relevant to the Ministry’s operations.
• Ensuring that policy proposals, Cabinet papers and draft legislation are prepared and submitted to enable the Ministry to achieve its objectives and implement Cabinet policy decisions in respect of the Ministry, without undue delay.
• Ensuring that the Ministry’s plans and budgets are prepared and approved in order to address key national and Ministry priorities.
• Ensuring that effective management systems, procedures and financial control systems are in place to make the most efficient and effective use of allocated resources.
• Providing leadership at Ministry level in designing and implementing changes, which will enhance and improve overall productivity and performance
• As a member of the Core Management Team, contributing to and championing changes geared towards improving Public Sector service delivery and performance.
Applicants for the position of Permanent Secretary in the Montserrat Public Service will be expected to demonstrate competency against the full range of leadership and core skills identified for senior public officers outlined in the Public Service Competency Framework.
Job Specific Skills:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• The ability to work at senior level, collaborating with Ministers and supporting them in their role.
• Strong leadership and management skills and the ability to create a strong and motivated team.
• Ability to conceptualize complex business changes and structures and the ability to plan, articulate and implement the resulting organizational change.
• The ability to work right and fast with a strong bias for action and the demonstrated ability to drive assignments to closure within stated deadlines.
• Have excellent oral and written communication skills coupled with similar interpersonal skills.
• Have Experience in Financial Management and Accounting principles and procedures.
• Have knowledge of Finance and Administration Act, Financial Regulations and General Orders.
• Have knowledge of Government Legislations and Regulations.
• Have a thorough understanding of Government policies, role, and functions.
• Competence in strategic planning, organizational ability; managing change, problem solving and team working.
• Demonstrate their ability to conform to the highest tenets of leadership.
• Hold a first degree from a recognised tertiary institution (with emphasis in Public or Business Administration, Human Resources Management or Management Studies). .
• Have at least 8 years’ experience in a senior management position in the Public Service (Senior Assistant Secretary level and above) with proven experience in formulating policies; managing people directing diverse programmes to achieve results.
• Or, at least 10 years’ broad leadership experience in the private sector with proven experience in advising Boards and external stakeholders.
• A post-graduate Degree in Public or Business Administration would be an asset
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a permanent or contractual basis.
The total remuneration package for this post is EC$116,640.00 per annum annually, which consists of the following: -
Basic Salary: $78,000.00 (Taxable)
Travel Allowance $9,600.00 per annum
Entertainment Allowance $3,600.00 per annum
Telephone allowance $1440.00 per annum (taxable)
Professional $24,000.00 per annum (taxable)
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at (+664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491-6234.
To apply send your completed application form along with copies of your qualification, a recent police certificate/record and a cover letter with the names of at least two referees to the Human Resources Management Unit by July 05, 2017
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (+664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491-6234. To apply send your completed application form along with copies of your qualification, a recent police certificate/record and a cover letter with the names of at least two referees to the Human Resources Management Unit by July 05, 2017