Principal Trade and Quality Infrastructure Officer
The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Principal Trade and Quality Infrastructure Officer within the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade, Lands, Housing and the Environment.
Under the supervision of the Permanent Secretary, to plan, manage and coordinate the Ministry's activities on trade, competition policy, standards and quality infrastructure matters.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
• Establishing the necessary working relations with local, regional and international authorities, including civil society organizations, private sector representatives, consumer affairs and other agencies involved in trade;
• Developing close working contacts with Member States’ representatives with whom Montserrat has an interest;
• Participating in donor cooperation efforts, as regards regional integration in respect of trade analysis and policy development;
• Explaining the trade policies and positions to domestic audiences, particularly local authorities, press, civil society, business and academics;
• Contributing to the preparation of negotiating positions, trade advocacy and other trade related disciplines, including but not limited to, the GATT, GATS, TRIPS and TRIMS;
• Tracking and reporting on Montserrat’s trade activities and guide GoM’s response to key international negotiations and to regional integration - particular attention must be paid to EU, WTO, CARICOM and OECS positions and developments on trade;
• Compiling and interpreting comparative data on trade between local suppliers, Montserrat, the Caribbean and the rest of the world;
• Monitoring the government's trade portfolio to determine and guide compliance with the GoM's Treaty obligations;
• Developing and implementing Quality Assurance Infrastructure, which includes Testing, Metrology, Conformity Assessment, Accreditation and Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) and participate in awareness-raising activities;
• Participating in the development of regional standards, regulations and practices, and foster, promote and support their adoption and implementation in Montserrat;
• Monitoring and reporting on fuel pricing mechanism established by GoM;
• Overseeing the implementation of the Import Licence framework, as prescribed in the External Trade Act;
• Supervising the testing, measurement and metrology in general to support, services, purchasing and sales programmes and trade practices to be in compliance and conformity with relevant regulations and standards, and;
• Providing monitoring data and regular progress reports to the Permanent Secretary.
CANDIDATES QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE PROFILE
The applicant must possess:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Trade, Finance or a similar discipline and; a postgraduate degree in social sciences, inclusive of trade/trade law or business administration will be an asset with at least five (5) years’ experience at a management level and a good understanding of the trade relations;
• Strong policy formulation and implementation skills;
• Excellent leadership and conflict resolution skills;
• Demonstrated ability to plan, implement and monitor programmes and projects;
• Excellent written communication skills, including the preparation of technical reports;
• Strong oral reporting and presentation skills to select and public audiences;
• Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with groups of diverse individuals;
• The ability to supervise, provide feedback and support a team;
• Information technology skills, with a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and the ability to manipulate presentation software and equipment, and;
• Working knowledge of another regional language, in particular Spanish, will be considered an asset.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a permanent or contractual basis.
The salary scale for the post is R17-13/14-10, that is, EC$58,896-65,232/63,648-70,092 per annum – taxable.
• telephone allowance of EC$720 per annum (taxable);
• a non-taxable Travel Allowance of EC$9,600.00 per annum is payable to the successful applicant, if the Officer maintains a motor vehicle in roadworthy condition.
GATT - General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade
GATS - General Agreement on Trade in Services
TRIPS - Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
TRIMS - Trade-Related Investment Measures
EU – European Union
WTO - World Trade Organization
CARICOM – Caribbean Community
OECS – Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States
GoM - Government of Montserrat
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
• A completed Application Form with a covering letter
• A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and copies of relevant academic qualifications.
o NOTE: Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies will be requested from those invited to interview
• A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
• Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a selection process that involves attending one or more interviews and/or assessment centres. These interviews are designed to assess the skills, competencies and attitudes of the applicant and may be conducted via SKYPE or in person. The Interviews and/or Assessment Centres allow the Selection Panel to draw on more evidence about the applicants than can be derived from the written application.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Monday 12th March, 2018.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB: Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.