The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitable qualified persons for the post of Director, Agricultural Services within the Ministry of Agriculture, Lands, Housing and the Environment.
- To plan, direct, coordinate and facilitate the work of the Department of Agriculture and its staff to promote and monitor the use of the land on the island in order facilitate the sustainable development of agriculture (crop and livestock) and exploration of natural resources.
Main Responsibilities, include:
- To determine the objectives of the Agricultural Services Department and its staff.
- To oversee and manage the staff and take responsibility for all decision making of the Agricultural Services Department.
- To manage the flow of work, prioritize and delegate work.
- To develop, implement and manage environmentally sound and economically viable projects, which enhance the proper development, management and conservation of natural resources (land, marine water etc).
- To direct the development of individual Divisional work plans (Extension, Veterinary, Fisheries and Irrigation etc).
- To integrate individual divisional work programmes into a cohesive and coordinate departmental work program to address key national and ministry priorities and objectives as outlined in the SDP, NEMS, CHMP and other strategic documents.
- To direct, facilitate and co-ordinate the work of the Department’s division to achieve efficiency and effectiveness in fulfilling the goals and objectives of Agricultural Services Department.
- Execute leases and facilitate agreements between private landowners and government or farmers for agriculture lands.
- To prepare work plans and outputs in consultation with senior staff.
- To coordinate and prepare Annual Report matching performance with objectives for Agricultural Services Department.
- To ensure staff needs are met through monitoring, training and professional development. Determine training needs and prepare training plans.
- To prepare annual budgets and manage available funds to receive value for money.
- To coordinate and direct the development of all agricultural policies. Research and develop policy for and advise the Minister on Agricultural development related to crops, livestock, agro-industries etc.
- To oversee and coordinate all education, public awareness and outreach activities and ensure public participation in all decision making affecting primary procedures.
- To serve as the Focal Point for the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) and CARICOM on agriculture and fisheries related activities.
Key Skills Requirement (Qualifications, Experience and Interpersonal skills)
The applicant must possess:
- A first degree and preferably a postgraduate degree in an area related Agriculture of or Natural Resources Management.
- At least five (5) years’ experience at a senior management level in related areas with experience in work programme development, budget management, human resource management and legislation and policy matters.
- Have excellent oral and technical report writing skills.
- Have the ability to coordinate the work of multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral specialist/technical teams.
- Have strong leadership qualities.
- Have the ability to supervise professional and administrative staff.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be on a Permanent Basis.
Salary Scale & Allowances
The salary scale for the post is R7- R7, that is, EC$74,760 per annum (taxable)
The successful applicant will be entitled to the following allowances:
Travel - $9,600 per annum (non-taxable)
Telephone - $720 per annum
Entertainment - $3,600 per annum
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resource Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at (+664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
- A completed Application Form with a covering letter;
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience and copies of relevant academic qualifications;
- A clear statement detailing why you consider yourself to be well qualified for the position;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Two letters of references with full contact details of the referees, and
- A recent police certificate/record
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resource Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resource Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
The deadline date for the receipt of application is 4:00 pm, Friday January 28, 2022.