Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the post of Permanent Secretary in the Montserrat Public Service.
The Permanent Secretary has overall administrative responsibility for the day-to-day management of the Ministry and for ensuring that service and other delivery targets are met. He/she is the principal adviser to the Minister on the formulation of policies, plans and programmes. As a member of the Core Management Team, the Permanent Secretary shares the collective responsibility for the management of the Public Service and will be expected to implement cross-ministerial policies and programmes, participate in special task forces, projects and assignments relative to the overall management of the Public Service.
- As Accounting Officer, ensuring that the Ministry’s budgets and strategic plans are prepared and managed in accordance with Financial Regulations and best practice
- Providing robust and objective advice to the Minister on the formulation of policy relevant to the Ministry's operations.
- Keeping the Minster informed on the status of projects and other activities within the Ministry
- Ensuring that policy proposals, Cabinet papers and draft legislation are prepared and submitted to enable the Ministry to achieve its objectives
- Ensuring the effective implementation and monitoring of the Ministry’s policies, plans and programmes through consultation with Department Heads and relevant stakeholders so that all relevant opinions and concerns are taken into account.
- Implementing Cabinet policy decisions in respect of the Ministry, without undue delay.
- Ensuring that effective management systems, procedures and financial control systems are in place to make the most efficient and effective use of allocated resources.
- Providing leadership at Ministry level in designing and implementing changes, which will enhance and improve overall productivity and performance
- As a member of the Core Management Team, contributing to and championing changes geared towards improving Public Sector service delivery and performance.
- Serve as an Ex-Officio member on Statutory Boards under the Ministry's portfolio
- Perform any other duties as required by the Minister or Deputy Governor in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Ministry.
Applicants for the position of Permanent Secretary in the Montserrat Public Service will be expected to demonstrate competency against the full range of leadership and core skills identified for senior public officers outlined in the Public Service Competency Framework.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to work at senior level, collaborating with Ministers and supporting them in their role.
- Strong leadership and management skills and the ability to create a strong and motivated team.
- Ability to conceptualize complex business changes and structures and the ability to plan, articulate and implement the resulting organizational change.
- The ability to work right and fast with a strong bias for action and the demonstrated ability to drive assignments to closure within stated deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically and develop and pursue a vision for the growth of the Public Service
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills coupled with similar interpersonal skills.
- Good knowledge of Government budget and accounting procedures and demonstrated experience in developing and managing budgets
- Good understanding of the structure of Government and the roles and responsibilities, and management accountabilities within that structure;
- Excellent organizational, analytical and decision-making skills
- Competence in strategic planning, managing change, problem solving and team working.
- Competence in human resource management and the ability to provide guidance and advice to Heads of Departments and staff
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to conform to the highest tenets of leadership.
- Hold a Master's Degree from a recognised tertiary institution with emphasis in Public or Business Administration, Human Resources Management or Management Studies.
- Have at least 8 years' experience in a senior management position in the Public Service (Head of Department level and above) with proven experience in formulating policies; managing people and directing diverse programmes to achieve results; OR At least 10 years' broad leadership experience in the private sector with proven experience in advising Boards and external stakeholders.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Appointment will be made on a contractual basis for a period of 3 years. On successful completion of contract, a gratuity at the rate of 12.5% of basic salary will be paid.
R5: XCD $79,620.00 / Year
Entertainment - $3,600.00
Professional - $24,000.00
Telephone - $1,440.00
Transport - $9,600.00
12.50% of Basic Salary
27 paid vacation days annually
Up to 25 paid sick days annually
Personal Development Opportunities
Access to Personal Advances
Medical Insurance available
Please see below required submission(s), which can be uploaded via this portal:
- Covering Letter
- Completed Application Form
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae with full particulars of Experience
- Certified Copies of Qualifications
- Clear statement detailing why you are well qualified for the position
- Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
- Other (1): Recent Police Certificate
Deadline: November 04, 2022
CLICK HERE TO APPLY